Sunday, November 27, 2011

Dinner in San Antonio

I flew with the regular copilot to San Antonio to visit my Ballerina Daughter with Ballet San Antonio, watch her in the Nutcracker Ballet, and meet her boyfriend's parents.  You can read about the trip on my aviation blog at www.lionelalford.com --click on the Aviation Blog link.  You can also get to it from www.WingsoverKansas.com

During the trip, we went to Texas de Brazil in San Antonio.  Texas de Brazil is a  Brazilian "Grill" or "Barbecue."  I used to routinely go to one in Albuquerque.  They have a buffet for veggies and other side stuff--I mostly skip it.  The buffet is usually nice with very high class salads, cheese, and stuff, but the meats are the center piece of any Brazilian Grill. 

You have a card or a round block on your table or at your place, when you turn the card or block to the green side, one of the many servers brings you freshly grilled meat on a skewer to your place and cuts or pulls off a piece for you.  These restaurants typically have from 20 to 30 different types of meat to serve you.  The goal is to get a bite of each.  The goal of the servers is to give you enough meat so you puke.

I like the classice Brazilian grill.  The meats tend to be more of the South American style and taste.  Texas de Brazil was Americanized, but that didn't detract from their presentation, service, or meats.  The amount and quality of very high quality meat was excellent.  From top sirloin to tenderloin to fillets, to lamb, lamb chops, pork, chicken in various styles, all the meat was excellent.  The drinks were excellent too.  The usual copilot had a dirty Martini (a Cloudy Rio), and I had their signature Brazilian lime and sugar cane spirit drink.  I can't pronounce it, so I can't spell it, but it starts with a C.  Just ask for the signature drink--you'll get what I had.  The only thing I missed was the sugar cane that comes in the real drink if you get it in Brazil.  Next time you are in San Antonio visit the Texas de Brazil--you won't be disappointed, and don't forget to make reservations (or you will be disappointed). 

We stayed in the Sheraton Gunter Hotel.  If you stay in San Antonio, I recommend this hotel.  It is only steps from the Alamo, Riverwalk, Majestic Theatre, Texas de Brazil, and a host of other great places to visit.

Right now, I'm enjoying a Partagas Number 10 cigar, a cappuccino, and an Avatini.  The weather is cold, but the ambiance is fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment